Sharp (Partial Demo)

Written around December 2006

Leslie is deep in finals so I’ve been entertaining myself this weekend. While fooling around with GarageBand tonight a song started to take shape. For those of you already groaning you can stop reading now thanks. Musical taste is subjective. Insensitive “don’t quit your day job” posts will be deleted and you’ll likely be banned from commenting in the future (really, I’ve heard it all before and besides I’ve already quit my day job). Don’t waste either of our time.

Crickets. Like the post title says, it’s not a complete track yet but I think it stands on its own already. Before I laid down the vocals it had a bit of an Underworld feel to it, all somber and driving. Then the words started to spill out. I recorded the layered guitar parts earlier in the evening. I didn’t set up the condenser mic for the vocal track since the song is still taking shape. Vocals were recorded in a single take with the MacBook’s built-in mic—wavering falsetto be damned. There’s quite a bit of noise on all the tracks. I need to remember to shut down the ol’ G5 when recording.

Of course, it probably doesn’t help that the dishwasher was running too.

I’m here waiting
yeah, we’re all waiting
for that something we thought
had already come along

it’s been days
it could’ve been years
and that something may
have already come and gone

hammering this nail but the boards still fall
even with these tools we still hit a wall
laughing like a fool as it all falls down
but it smarts ‘cause it’s sharp.

Download Sharp

Downloaded 1180 times

Fixing the $_FILES Superglobal
Three Quarter Creep
Shaun Inman
December 2nd, 2006 at 9:28 pm
Categories
Original Music
Comments
014 (Now closed)

014 Comments

001

I Enjoy your Thom Yorkism, he inflluences me alot too.

Matt Tavares
Dec 2nd, 2006 9:57 pm
002

Actually, after giving it a good listen it sounds alot like pre-frances mars volta. I reallly digg your sound, for something thats mixed using garage band it sounds amazing.

Keep on doing what your doing.

Matt Tavares
Dec 2nd, 2006 10:02 pm
003

Yeah, Shaun…. Damn the haters. I don’t know what it sounds like really (in regards to an existing sound or artist) and that might be the best thing about it.

It sounds original. To me at least.

John Peele
Dec 2nd, 2006 10:45 pm
004

Matt, while I wouldn’t have listed Thom Yorke as a direct influence of this tune, I’m definitely a fan. And now that you mention it, the general layered loopiness does feel like a distant cousin to something off of The Eraser. I’m sure the falsetto scores it some similarity points too. I’ll have to check out the Mars Volta.

Rock on, thanks John.

Shaun Inman
Dec 2nd, 2006 11:22 pm
005

Shaun, this is just amazing, I’m typically more interested in more heavier rock and metal, but this is just plain great. It puts me in a good mood and I’d definitely be into a whole album like this.

Kevin Sylvia
Dec 2nd, 2006 11:38 pm
006

I’m going to have to be the odd man out here and say (from what I can hear on these crappy headphones) that it needs a bit of TLC.

I’d really work on the mix a bit. The vocal is really getting drowned out, and could use an up in volume. Maybe you just had it toned down because the noise was too overpowering, but bust out that condenser and let’s hear it then. I’d bring up the acoustic a bit too - it’s getting lost in that closed hi-hat.

Also, don’t be afraid to play with panning that acoustic a bit. The other guitar sounds pretty good. A compressor can be your friend in some instances, too.

But yeah, it’s not bad, just pretty rough IMO. Time to get yourself a MySpace band account. :)

Eston
Dec 3rd, 2006 12:08 am
007

Shaun, Thom was the first thing i thought of when i heard the loop. The falsettoed lyrics and that cool harmonic guitar riff you play during the chorus reminds me of the mars volta. If you do check them out I must warn you, they aren’t for the faint of heart, you have to truely sit down and feel the music. If you like electronica, jazz, salsa, and 70’s pshyadelic punk rock, then you’ll love the volta.

By the way, i find using the “Clean” setting (or so i think its called, its under the guitar -> effects pane) when playing accoustic guitar. It gets rid of alot of the fuzz that goes around in the background.

Matt Tavares
Dec 3rd, 2006 12:30 am
008

Thanks Kevin.

Eston, I appreciate the constructive criticism. When the song is completely written I’ll probably end up re-recording/programing everything. The vocals you’re (not-)hearing already have a compressor on them but with all the hiss from the open-air MacBook mic I’m not sure anything (available in GarageBand) would have helped. Should be better when when I record it proper with my condenser mic.

Shaun Inman
Dec 3rd, 2006 12:33 am
009

Shaun,

Sounds great! I admire your use of garage band because I just started messing around with it myself and it’s kinda tough - I’m more comfortable with Finale.

Also, thanks for your “Cannot Compute Without” entry - I just got my first Mac and that helped me out a ton.

When you go on tour if you need a drummer, I’m your man!

Steve

Steve
Dec 3rd, 2006 11:37 am
010

I like it! But don’t quit your day job. Kidding…seriously though, fun stuff.

Keith
Dec 3rd, 2006 5:03 pm
011

Damn. The range of your talent truly makes me aspire to do more with myself (and Garageband).

I would like to add that it’d be extremely cool to hear the more polished version when you’re done with it — the consensus is we want more! Are you recording the guitar via mic or do you have a USB or mini-plug line in?

tom
Dec 4th, 2006 2:42 pm
012

Crap. Apparently when I recorded the guitar tracks GarageBand wasn’t even using the USB mic. As a result there was noise on every track (the processing I did on the guitars was hiding this fact.) Looks like the preprocessor for my Samson C01U condenser mic doesn’t work at all on Intel Macs. Without the pre I’m only getting one channel (with some bleed where the other channel should be). Grrr, I think I made the switch to Intel too early.

Shaun Inman
Dec 5th, 2006 10:05 pm
013

Well, it looks like I can tell GarageBand to use just the first channel for it’s input until they update their preprocessor. That means I’m recording from a mono source (does that matter much since I’m using a directional mic?) but at least I can hear it in both ears now.

Shaun Inman
Dec 5th, 2006 10:13 pm
014

You should check out davidcrowderband.com

Spencer